Fraternity chapters expected to increase: New chapters arrive on campus and old ones prepare to return

These fraternities have a current membership of 1,431 members, Ellis said.

Ten of the 19 fraternities have houses on campus, Ellis said, and another six of the fraternities have facilities off-campus.

Ellis said the university has never had any fraternities “pushed off” campus, but it has had three fraternities suspended for repeated violations of the Student Code of Conduct in the past two and a half years.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon was one of those fraternities. SAE is serving a two-year suspension from campus, Ellis said.

SAE is scheduled to return to campus Fall 2012, IFC President Taylor Franklin said.

Ellis said the fraternity’s control over its former facility depends on if former SAE members return to their fraternity.

“When the organization returns to campus they will resume control of the facility located at 410 Rose Lane as long as no former members of SAE return to the organization,” Ellis said. “If former members of SAE return to the organization, SAE will operate without a house for one year.”

The house on Rose Lane will continue to house the general student population next year, Ben Crutcher, associate vice president of Auxiliary Services, said in an e-mail to the Kernel.

Lambda Chi Alpha is another fraternity serving a suspension from the university, Ellis said.

Ellis said the National Headquarters for Lambda Chi imposed a four-year suspension on UK’s chapter from the university.

Lambda Chi is scheduled to return to campus Fall 2013, Franklin said.

Sigma Phi Epsilon is the third fraternity serving a suspension, Franklin said. He said Sig Ep is scheduled to return to campus Fall 2011.

Franklin said he hoped the IFC fraternities will work to make a real Greek community on UK’s campus.

He said that he would like to see those in the Greek organizations to keep holding leadership organizations on campus and to see members of fraternities strive to hold themselves to a higher standard.

UK will see a few new fraternities added to campus in the next few years, Franklin said.

Theta Chi Fraternity is starting at UK this spring semester, he said, and Delta Upsilon Fraternity will come to campus Spring 2012.

Last fall, Beta Theta Pi was UK’s newest fraternity.

Beta Theta Pi President Brent White said the turnover of fraternities in recent years at UK left “space for a new one to come in.”

White said Beta had 43 members after fall recruitment.

“It’s a really exciting time to be here,” White said.