Leaders to be rewarded with scholarships

By Shelby Leach

The Student Development Council will award 10 $1,000 scholarships, made possible through donations by Kennedy Bookstore, to students who show outstanding academic and leadership qualities.

The Joseph P. Kennedy Student Development Scholarship is highly competitive. Applicants must have a minimum 3.3 GPA, be full-time students,  demonstrate outstanding leadership skills and have contributed to the university or the local community.

Kennedy Bookstore has donated money to UK for scholarships for more than 30 years because the university has played an important role in its business.

“We have employed many students over the years for part-time work and saw a need to assist some financially,” Carol Behr, general manager at Kennedys and daughter of store owner Joseph P. Kennedy, said.

“Even just a little help with tuition goes a long way toward many completing their goals of getting their degree and pursuing further plans,” Behr said.

The SDC awards the scholarship to increase awareness of the importance of private giving to a public institution like the UK.

“Private gifts are critical to UK’s mission of improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research, service and health care,” Greg Casey, associate director of Annual Giving, said.

“The scholarship has been very beneficial to me by alleviating some of the stress associated with the huge financial burden of medical school,” Aun Munis, a second-year medical school student and scholarship recipient, said. “More importantly, it has allowed me the opportunity to keep pursing my interests outside of class that will help make me a more well-rounded physician.”

Receiving this scholarship not only helps students financially, but gives them opportunities to meet new people and get involved on campus.

“During the application process of this scholarship, my family was going through a difficult time,” Mackenzie Gathof, student ambassador and graduate student for the College of Health Sciences, said. “Receiving this scholarship not only helped me but helped my family. The Student Development Council Scholarship is something that I will always be thankful for.”

SDC scholarship applications are due March 11 by 4 p.m to the Sturgill Development Office on Rose Street.