Summer courses expand: More students enroll in classes

By Kelsey Grumblatt

Summer courses at UK have become more popular in recent years, and they offer students a way to take more courses they need in a four, six or eight-week session.

Not only can students fit in a few classes in a shorter amount of time, but they can also take them online.

“We think the online classes will be particularly useful to students who want to live at home and have a summer job,” said Anna Bosch, the associate dean for Undergraduate Programs in the College of Arts & Sciences.

The number of online classes has grown from 45 in 2006 to 59 in 2008, and there were 115 offered in the 2010 summer session, according to the institutional research done by the university.

According to the research, the enrollment number for summer classes continues to grow. In 2006, there were 6,729 students in summer classes, which grew to 6,819 in 2008. That number reached 7,425 students in summer session 2010.

“Summer classes allow me to finish school earlier,” said Caitlin Sanner, a UK student. “I can fit in a few classes I need in a short amount of time and graduate at an earlier date.”

There are many different types of classes offered in the summer, Bosch said.

“You might choose to take a (University Studies Program/ General Education) course, or an elective that sounds interesting, or a course for your major,” Bosch said.

The number of online classes and students enrolled in summer classes are expected to grow in this year’s summer sessions.

“The online format allows them (students) to do their class work at their own pace, and at the time of day that best suits them,” Bosch said.