GSA hosts ‘Coming Out Day’

By Corey Elam

The rain didn’t stop UK’s Gay Straight Alliance from hosting their annual “Coming Out Day.”

GSA and OUTsource members had their door up and ready at 10 a.m. Thursday.

T-shirts and free buttons were handed out to visitors.

Free food, as well as face and finger nail  painting were part of the event.

Despite the weather, students stopped by throughout the day to show their support for the LGBT community in Lexington.

Sophomores India Stewart and Scout Noffke came to spread awareness of the gay pride community on campus, but also to celebrate their one-month anniversary.

“It’s really important to show support for your own community as much as you can,” Stewart said.

The AIDS Volunteer Organization (AVOL) also had members at the Student Center.

The organization serves the Eastern Kentucky region with counseling and support, as well as free testing for those infected or affected by HIV/AIDS,

Members spread the word about their local initiative, “Dining Out for Life,” which will take place on Nov. 30.

The initiative is a joint effort with Lexington companies. Proceeds from participating locations will go toward their cause.

“It’s important that people acknowledge how much it helps people suffering with this disease,” said Terrance Tishenor, member of AVOL.

Breanne Weaver, a senior and member of GSA, said the university community is eager to help.

“People know this is a gay-friendly campus, and we have plenty of ways to show it,” she said.

“Coming Out Day” is GSA’s biggest event of the fall semester, according to  Patrick Osborn, a senior and GSA member.

On Nov. 18, GSA will host an event to promote transgender awareness on campus.

“Coming Out Day and events like these are are great to show support, but it’s also a healing experience in some ways,” said Adam Schwartz, a freshman member of GSA.

“It’s great getting to meet people who not only can relate with what you’re going through, but can help.”

For more infomation about GSA, visit www.uky.edu/GetInvoled.