Details, map of campus construction proposal

President Eli Capilouto issued a Housing Request Proposal this week as a part of the renew and rebuild campus project.

This proposal for student housing begins the process of obtaining a private developer, which will work with UK over two phases.

The developer will “replace most of the existing 5,145 undergraduate beds and 861 family and graduate apartments based upon two phases,” according to the request.

The developer proposals are due Nov. 22, and the Board of Trustees is expected to select a developer at the Dec. 9 meeting.

After the developer is selected, UK and the developer will negotiate an Affiliation Agreement and a Ground Lease for Phase I, according to the request.

Related Link: Capilouto announces dorm construction plan

As a part of Phase I, UK will enter a 50- to 60-year ground lease for Haggin Field. The developer will construct and own the Haggin Field residential hall, and at the end of the ground lease, UK has the option to purchase it.

Phase II refers to the future development and management for undergraduate and graduate housing, in a negotiated Affiliation Agreement and Ground Lease. In Phase II, developers who respond to the request will propose options for replacing existing dining facilities lost as buildings are demolished and replaced.

The developer will build and own the new housing facilities, and at the end of the ground lease, UK can either terminate the lease, purchase the assets or extend the terms of the lease.

Current campus profile:

–  5,145 residence hall beds

–  684 modern residence hall beds

–  20 residence halls, one apartment complex, four fraternities, on sorority,   one specialty house

– About 90 percent of freshman live on campus

– 24 percent of undergraduates live on campus

– South and Central Campus accounts for 68 percent of total campus capacity of undergraduate beds

First phase:

–  600-bed, $30 million residence hall

–  To begin construction spring 2012, completion fall 2013

–  Residence hall will focus on Honors students and high-tech learning opportunities

Second phase:

–  Tearing down and rebuilding around 4,000 residence hall beds

–  Eventually adding another 4,000 beds (this will create about 9,000 modern beds)

The following buildings are projected to be replaced in the next several years: Donovan, Blazer, Boyd, Jewell, Holmes, Kirwan/Blanding Complex, Cooperstown, Greg page, Shawneetown and Commonwealth Village.

Greek housing also may be considered for enhancement in Phase II.

More details on the Housing Request Proposal can be found at  www.uky.edu/Purchasing/uk-1122-12.pdf.