Dining hours extended on South Campus

By Amelia Orwick

Students will have the opportunity to satisfy late night cravings on South Campus beginning Tuesday.

UK Dining Services is extending the hours of Commons, Common’s Starbucks, Ovid’s Café and Ovid’s Starbucks until midnight Monday through Thursday.

“It’s a service that we felt like we needed to offer to South Campus,” said Pam Edwards, marketing specialist for dining services. “After working with the president’s office and student organizations, we thought it was good time to offer this service so that students would have improved options at night.”

Dining halls on other parts of campus, like Blazer Café, will keep normal hours.

“Right now it’s just an experiment to see if it’s a service that students want and need,” said Ray Schmidt, associate director of dining services. “We wanted to target a specific place to start, but who knows where it will go from here.”

The majority of students live on South Campus, so extending the hours will provide many people with another place to socialize and study, Edwards said.

Ovid’s Cafe will shut down its fiesta bar at 10 p.m., but the rest of the bars will remain open.

Starting at 9 p.m. at Commons, an all-you-can-eat option will be available for $5.50. Meal swipes will not be accepted.

An unveiling of the new hours will take place Tuesday at Commons at 9 p.m.

President Eli Capilouto, Student Government President Micah Fielden and Vice President for Student Affairs Robert Mock will all be present to usher in the change. Free beverages will be provided to students in attendance.

“We are very happy to help President Capilouto respond to the desires of our students in providing longer hours with menu options at our South Campus dining facilities,” Mock said.