The story of ‘Don Quixote’ to be performed in dance

By Danielle Kaye

The third annual Moscow Festival Ballet performance of “Don Quixote” will hit UK’s campus on Thursday at 7:30 pm.

The past performances have included “Swan Lake”and “Sleeping Beauty. “The show is expected to have at least 1,00 spectators, Summer Gossett, the ticketing and marketing director for the Singletary Center, said.

The company “was founded in 1989 when legendary principal dancer of the Bolshoi Ballet, Sergei Radchenko, sought to realize his vision of a company which would bring together the highest classical elements of the great Bolshoi and Kirov Ballet companies in an independent new company within the framework of Russian classic ballet,” according to the Moscow Festival Ballet website.

The company attracts Russia’s most talented classical ballet dancers. Currently the MFB has more than 50 dancers, said Gossett.

“This event is extremely popular, especially with families and students at the University,” she continued. “There are so many ballet companies and studios in Lexington, so it is a real treat to be able to showcase an art that is so prevalent to the area.”

The ballet is the story of Don Quixote de la Mancha and his adventures as a knight, and is set to the music scored by Leon Minkus.

“I think that the best part about bringing in the ballet is seeing the diverse crowd that comes into the building,” Gossett said. “Being able to present something that families can bring their small children to is always a plus because it shows that we are able to be a part of bringing culture into the lives of so many young children.”

The performance was coordinated by Singletary Center Director Michael Grice, and is part of the Singletary Series consisting of approximately nine performances, Gossett said.

“’Don Quixote’ is one of the most well known pieces of Spanish literature,” said Austin Norrid, a music education freshman. “Written during the decline of the Spanish Empir, it tells the story of a man trying to be a heroic knight to gain the affection of his beloved.

“I look forward to the performance because seeing a well executed ballet is always an intensely rewarding experience. I don’t think that most students know exactly what ballet is or how beautiful and emotional it can be.”

The performance will be Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the Singletary Center for the Arts.

Tickets are $25 to $32 for the event, with a student price of $10 and a discount available for UK faculty and staff.

Tickets can be purchased over the phone (257.4929), in person at the Singletary Center box office or online at www.uky.edu/scfa.