Kernel Editorial: Staples, Wimberly qualified, innovative candidates

The Kernel is endorsing Drake Staples and Mary Ellen Wimberly for Student Government president and vice president.

SG is designed to act on behalf of all UK students, and the Kernel believes Staples and Wimberly would best represent student interests.

Those elected to SG have one year to evaluate and build upon old programs and implement new ones, and Staples and Wimberly have ideas that could realistically be achieved in one year.

ONE Kentucky, a marketing campaign, would help promote diversity. And Staples and Wimberly appear to be focused on inclusiveness based on whom they have met when developing their platform and selecting senators for their ticket.

The “Textbook Library” program would let students in certain classes have the opportunity to check out textbooks from libraries on campus.

This program, though potentially expensive to initiate, would prevent students in those classes from spending hundreds of dollars on a book that would be used only a few times, and would be a good manner of putting student fees to use for students.

Other programs, such as “Wildcat Wardrobe,” which would allow students to rent dress clothes for interviews; wireless printing; and a new student ticket lottery system are ones that could directly benefit students all across campus.

One of the other large programs Staples and Wimberly want to include is a student loan program, but that program needs more review and discussion. SG is tasked with managing student funds, and a student loan program needs certain stipulations so the money students pay isn’t

used to fund, for example, someone else’s spring break.

The other candidates, Stephen Bilas and Mary Katherine Kington, are also qualified. Their idea to make existing SG programs more efficient and effective is a good one, especially coupled with existing experience in balancing the SG budget. However, Staples and Wimberly and their proposed programs are the better fit to lead a student-run government that represents and serves its university’s students.

Online voting for SG will begin at 9 a.m. on Wednesday and end Thursday at 6 p.m. Go to uksga.org to vote.

Polling locations will be set up in White Hall Classroom Building and the Student Center from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday.

The uncertified results for SG will be announced Thursday evening at 8 p.m. on the Student Center patio.