Cruise home safely

By Erin Grigson

The Cats Cruiser offers safe transportation to all UK students on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.

With routes running from Red Mile, Versailles Road and Angliana (red line) to High Street, Euclid and Woodland Avenue (blue line) to Cooper, Dantzler and Elizabeth Street (purple line) and every point in between, students have many ways to get around campus safely.

David Collett, a driver for the Purple/Blue line of the Cats Cruisers, said he has been doing this for almost 15 years.

“You’ll get all kinds of people out on these nights,” Collett said.

Collett also said that Elizabeth Street is the place where he picks up the most students.

As he drove, some people waved at him, just to say hi, and others ran after him trying to hail him down since they weren’t at an actual bus stop.

“I don’t know how to get back to campus,” sophomore Kendra Dean said. “Now that I know about [the Cats Cruiser], I’ll be using it all the time.”

“I learned about it at freshman orientation, but this is the first time I’m using it,” freshman Megan Clark said.

“It’s hot outside and this bus is air-conditioned. I might just ride it for a while since you said it’s free,” freshman Sally Chamness said. “I didn’t know about it, but I think it’s a great way for students to safely get around. The routes are very convenient.”

“We have friends that live on Red Mile Road and there are buses that run out there (the red line of Cats Cruisers) so we don’t have to walk. Red Miles is not exactly the safest place around campus,” sophomore Ebony Davis said.

“Not only are the routes convenient, but the days and times it runs are very convenient, too,” sophomore Jessica Hinkle said. “[UK Student Government] knows that a lot of people go out and party on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and 3 a.m. is late enough that they can stay out and have a good time and still have a safe way to get home.”