Student groups can register with university

By Anyssa Roberts | @KyKernel

The time has come for new and existing student organizations to register and re-register for the 2013-14 academic year.

Student organizations are not required by the university to register, but student affairs officer Todd Cox said it is in their best interest to do so.

“Every year student organizations are required to register if they want to enjoy the benefits offered to student organizations,” Cox said. “These include graphic design services, T-shirt discounts, room reservations and funding from Student Government.”

The student organization registration process includes three steps.

Step 1 is education. This step requires one student officer, new or returning, to attend a 30-40 minute orientation on behalf of the group. Orientations will be in the room 106 of the Student Center. Re-registering groups will receive a code number for their organization at this session.

Step 2 is the application. This process involves completing the proper applications for new and existing organizations.

Step 3 is verification. The final step of the registration process takes place once the application is completed and submitted. The Center for Student Involvement will verify the information and approve the organization’s application.

This same process can be used for students looking to start a new organization.

“If students want to start a new organization they would go through the same process as one that has been around for 30 years,” Cox said. He said an organization needs three students, a faculty adviser and a constitution to be considered for registration.

Cox said new organizations register each year, including Greek organizations and specialized groups. This past year a record was set, as 504 student organizations registered. Cox said if a student can think of any hobby, there is probably an organization for it, but there is always room for more.

“The range of organizations is enormous. We have 40 regular organizations, 40 Greek organizations, 30 medical organizations and 20 law organizations,” Cox said. “Some are really broad organizations, and some are special-interest groups.”

Cox encourages groups to register as soon as possible.

“The best time is to register now, so they can reap the benefits of being set up early,” Cox said. “Especially when events like K-week come around, they can start building their membership. Instead of worrying about paperwork, they can just get started meeting as an organization.”

For more information on the student organization registration process or to register, visit getinvolved.uky.edu/register.