‘Fast’ 3-star wide receiver Garrett Johnson commits to Cats

By Nick Gray | @KyKernelGray

Three-star West Orange (Fla.) High School wide receiver Garrett Johnson has committed to UK, according to his high school coach, Bob Head, who confirmed the news to the Kernel.

Johnson, a 5-foot-9, 185-pound receiver from Winter Garden, Fla., caught 49 passes for 685 yards and seven touchdowns as a junior in 2012.

“(Johnson) is really fast,” Head said. “He can play inside or outside and has good hands, has a good football IQ and is an all-around good player.”

Head said that Johnson made an unofficial visit to UK for the “Friday Night Blue Lights” high school recruit camp on July 19 (where he earned the distinction of the best slot receiver in the camp alongside two 40-yard run times of 4.50) and fell in love with the school.

“(Johnson) is ready to go back today,” Head said. “He really enjoyed Lexington and would play today if he could.”

Head attended and played football at Eastern Kentucky and grew up in Frankfort; his wife is from Lexington.

UK running backs coach Chad Scott was Johnson’s primary recruiter and has known Head for years, according to Head.

Johnson’s most productive high school season to date came as a sophomore, where he made 55 catches for 1,014 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Johnson marks the third commitment from a wide receiver in the Class of 2014, joining Thaddeus Snodgrass and T.V Williams. The Cats signed two wide receivers in the Class of 2013 from Florida in Jeff Badet and Alex Montgomery.

Johnson picked UK over offers from Arizona, South Florida, Boston College, Georgia Tech and Northwestern among more than 20 schools.