Move-in day kicks off K-Week events

Students wait in line to move in to south campus dorms in Lexington, Ky., on Friday, August 23, 2013. Photo by Emily Wuetcher

By Will Wright | Assistant News Editor

The sounds of the Wildcat Marching Band and the smell of cooking hot dogs gave move-in day a celebratory atmosphere on Friday.

More than 2,200 students began settling into their new dorms with the help of UK President Eli Capilouto, and his wife, Dr. Mary Lynne Capilouto, who greeted families and students on South Campus. Move-in day on Friday officially marked the beginning of this year’s K-Week, a introductory week with hundreds of events for new students. In total, more than 5,000 students will be moving into campus residence halls this week.

“It could not have been any smoother,” said Melissa Napier, the mother of ISC freshman Will Napier. “I could not be more impressed with everything.”

Sarah Nikirk, the associate director of auxiliary services at UK, said she thinks it’s one of the best move-ins UK has had.

Those who organized the day wanted families to enjoy themselves on a day that marks the beginning of a new chapter in students and parents’ lives.

“All of this is an event they can experience with their family, and we don’t want it to be sitting in a car,”  said John Zachem, a utiltiies manager for the physical plant department at UK.

UK Residence Life, the UK Police Department, Dining Services and other volunteer organizations, such as Greek communities and local churches, all played a role in move-in day.

“It’s a combination of many, many groups,” Nikirk said.

They began organizing all the facets of move-in day months before students arrive. Zachem said meetings begin in mid-Spring when students leave in May.

The opening of Central Hall and the construction of future dorms led to new traffic routes around campus, he said. He said they had to rethink routes for the new dorms as well as construction sites.

Zachem and his team also had to account for the large class size as well as the new dormitories. He said spreading out the times students could move in reduced a lot of the pressure. Students in the living-learning communities, the Marching Band and sororities were some of those who moved in early.

“It’s still a busy day, but it has helped some of the impact of additional students,” he said.