Group discusses concealed carry on campus

By Laura Shrake | Assistant News Editor

For at least 13 students, feeling safe does not equal being safe.

The students who gathered for the Students for Concealed Carry meeting Wednesday say their side needs to be heard.

“If you want something to be heard, you have to make it an issue,” Tyler Waide said, the Kentucky director of Students for Concealed Carry and political science senior.

Waide said he wants the university to change its policy regarding the allowance of concealed carries on campus, pointing out that doing so is not illegal, but is against university policy.

Waide said his rights shouldn’t stop at campus property because “bad guys don’t stop at campus property.”

Waide and the non-partisan organization discussed several ideas to reach out to campus about what the organization does.

Some events discussed were postering the campus, collaborating with other campus organizations like Young Americans for Liberty, College Republicans and College Democrats, and an open holster protest.

This protest, where members of the organization will wear an empty holster on campus, will serve to start conversations between students about the issue of concealed carry.

One member of the organization has deep-seeded beliefs that brought him to the organization.

“I believe deeply in the second amendment rights,” political science and engineering senior Scotty Stutts said. “Allowing concealed carry would make campus safer … students have the right to defend themselves.”

First-year graduate student Cassidy Henry wonders what makes campus so much different than the sidewalk across the street for concealed carry allowance.

“I don’t turn into a homicidal maniac when I step on campus,” Henry said. “It’s a matter (of having a) better sense of security.”

She also said it is comforting to know that her options aren’t just to scream.

“Concealed carry is about defense, not offense,” Henry said.

Waide said that although the group died off somewhat last year, he wants to make sure the “right side is heard.”