Students gather to hear advice from UK upperclassmen

By Luke Troxell

Around 60 students gathered Wednesday to learn everything from Facebook privacy to drinking alcohol with work colleagues.

The presentation, titled “What I Wish I Knew,” was specifically aimed at helping students realize the decisions they are making now can affect the rest of their lives.

Presented by senior members of the LEAD program at the Gatton Business at Economics Building, the goal was to help people realize ways to maximize their potential and informing students that a person’s 20s are the defining decade in their lives.

“We want to inform students how to maximize their success at UK and help students realize how impactful the decisions they are making now are on the rest of their lives,” presenter and senior Bridget Mahorney said.

The group emphasized how their presentation was beneficial to the students in attendance.

“I had a student come up to me right after and tell me this presentation was extremely helpful. He asked me if there was any way he could learn more about the information presented,” presenter Corbin Bailey said.

Some members in the group, who are now upperclassmen, wished they had attended similar events when they were freshmen to learn about the different resources at UK.

“I wish I would have known about the Wildcat CareerLink, that matches you with internships and jobs, I just learned about that my junior year, and I wish I would’ve known about it as a freshman and sophomore,” presenter Elizabeth Gardinier said.

The group said they were satisfied with the information they presented to students, but that there is still information they’d like to share with students to help them out at UK.

“We just wanted to make sure we gave students the tools that they needed to learn more on their own.”

At least one student took something away from the presentation which they can apply to their time at UK.

“I was thinking about studying abroad and this presentation kind of reinforced that,”  psychology sophomore Jared Wheatley said. “You have to do what you can when you’re 20, and experience things.”