Greeks slip and slide at Delta Zeta’s annual Turtle Tug

By Nathaniel Yates

Students gathered around both sides of an inflatable pool and cheered, waiting to see who would take a tumble into the lime green Jell-O.

The Turtle Tug, an annual tug-of-war event hosted by Delta Zeta sorority, took place on the South Campus front lawn Thursday.

Delta Zeta co-hosted this year’s event with Delta Tau Delta fraternity to raise money for both groups’ philanthropies. Delta Zeta’s proceeds will benefit speech and hearing charities, while Delta Tau Delta will donate to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund.

Junior Parissa Zargar oversaw all of the Turtle Tug activities this year and felt the event was a success.

“I think this is always a really fun spring event,” Zargar said. “Plus, this helps us raise money for our philanthropies and a good cause.”

This year, Turtle Tug had 10 fraternity teams and 11 sorority teams participate, each randomly placed into brackets. Beta Theta Pi won in the fraternity bracket and Alpha Omicron Pi won the sorority competition.

Beta Theta Pi freshman Cody Harp participated in the event with his team.

“This was a good event for us to participate in,” Harp said. “It allows us to keep our commitment to one another.”

Triangle freshman Ben Allen said he was glad he attended, even after he took a dive into the Jell-O.

“We were fighting for awhile, but after I realized we were losing, I just let go and fell in backwards,” Allen said.

Zargar said the event was a lot of work to get together, but the fun had was worth it.

“We have been working on this since December,” Zargar said. “I’m glad that there was a big turnout.”

Harp felt the event was a good way to relax toward the end of the year.

“We won, and that made the day even better than it already was,” Harp said. “But overall, it was just a fun event for people to do with all members of the Greek-life community.”

Phi Mu freshman Jessica Grego enjoyed the atmosphere at the event.

“It was fun to watch all of my sorority sisters get pulled into the Jell-O,” Grego said. “This was a great bonding experience for all of us to come together and just have some fun.”