MLK silent march aims to discuss poverty, protesting: Students to act out ‘I Have A Dream’ speech

Student actors will interpret Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous speech during the “MLK Silent March and Vigil: I Have a Dream” event.

Soup and Substance will present the event. The silent march will begin at the MLK Center at 5 p.m. and a vigil will be held in the Student Center Small Ballroom, from 5:30 to 7:30 on Thursday.

Soup and Substance is a monthly dialogue series that deals with current issues in diversity and representation, said Rosalyn Robinson, assistant director of the Martin Luther King Center. The third Thursday of this month falls on King’s birthday.

“Every year that we do the silent march, we tend to pick a theme,” Robinson said.

Participants in the march will walk around North Campus, stopping at scenes that correspond to parts of the speech.

“I think a lot of people hear about the speech but don’t really know what’s in it,” Robinson said.

For example, the first campus scene features Abraham Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation, an early reference in the speech.

As the speech continues, major themes will be identified, Robinson said, such as protesting, police brutality and poverty.

At 5:30 p.m., free soup will be provided in the Small Ballroom, according to UKNow.

There will also be a discussion of the speech and how its message applies to today’s world, according to the MLK Center email. Robert Mock, the vice president of Student Affairs, and King Center ambassadors will “reflect on questions such as ‘Is Dr. King’s dream fulfilled?’ and ‘How can we continue to uphold his dream?’” according to the email.

“I think there’s an opportunity to connect to current events … and have a great discussion about Martin Luther King and diversity and social justice,” Robinson said.

Staff Report