Wright named new editor-in-chief of Kernel

By Anne Halliwell

The Kentucky Kernel’s advising board named journalism junior Will Wright editor-in-chief for the 2015-16 school year on Wednesday night.

Kernel Press Inc. interviewed Wright and current assistant news editor Cheyene Miller for the position and made the announcement shortly afterward.

The nonprofit board is comprised of several Kernel alumni, publications advisors and the current editor-in-chief, and chooses the new editor every year.

Duane Bonifer, chairman of Kernel Press Inc., said the choice between the two was a “nice difficult decision to have.”

“We really had a good time interviewing (them),” Bonifer said. “They were both very thoughtful and had good proposals that they talked about beyond (what might have been expected).”

Wright is the current managing editor of the Kentucky Kernel. He began work for the student publication as a reporter his freshman year and was the assistant news editor in the 2013-14 school year.

Wright said that his plan for next year involves turning the Kernel into a web-first media organization, as most of its readership comes from online views through the website and social media.

He also stressed the importance of including more beat news in the next year’s reportage.

“I think it will allow us to better hold the university accountable and report the news students need to know,” Wright said.

Bonifer said that both candidates have bright futures at the Kernel and will both provide strong leadership in the next year of papers.

“Will is a great reporter and he knows what makes a good story and what articles to track down,” current editor-in-chief Morgan Eads noted. “I think that as editor-in-chief he will make sure that the Kernel is publishing the stories that are important to the UK community.”

Student publications adviser Chris Poore said he was “thrilled that the Kernel continues to attract such strong candidates” in terms of experience and vision.

Bonifer said that since “being the editor of the Kentucky Kernel is the most important student position on campus,” the Kentucky Kernel should look forward to another great year.

“We had two very strong candidates this year,” Bonifer added. “I think that’s a credit to the advisers and the publication … and the school.”