UK grads prepare for first days on the job

By Ashtin Morgan and Carmen Stinson

In today’s increasingly competitive job market it has become essential for graduates to find ways to differentiate themselves from the crowd.

“We don’t want students to just survive in the job market, we want them to thrive — that goes beyond getting the offer,” said Seth Riker, the Stuckert Career Center’s assistant marketing director.

The Center held the “How to Impress Your Boss: Employer Panel” event, which gave students an inside look at tips for the first weeks at a new job.

The event included advice from several career professionals who spoke about business success.

“This session aims to connect soon-to-be graduates with local employers for a candid, casual conversation on workplace success,” Riker said.

Lexmark corporate recruiter Krista Williams emphasized the importance of networking with professionals inside and outside of the workplace. She noted the positive effects of paying attention to detail and taking things one day at a time.

Frank Patton, a manager for First Investors, offered his own advice.

“Listen twice as much as you talk,” he said.

Patton also touched on the importance of first impressions, reminding students how crucial it is to have a positive experience the first time they meet their bosses and colleagues.

The “How to Impress Your Boss: Employer Panel” offered many ways to make the transition to a new job a positive one.

The panel advised students to take initiative and follow through on assignments, as well as ask for more experience and build a rapport with leaders.

The Stuckert Career Center will be open all summer, with drop-in hours Tuesday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Riker said students are welcome to continue working with career advisers over the summer.