National exchange program gives students opportunity for travel

By Jared Hoskins

The National Student Exchange hosted an information session Wednesday in Miller Hall. Tourgee Simpson, UK’s NSE coordinator, offered background information for the NSE program and encouragement for prospective students.

The National Student Exchange offers students the opportunity to study for one semester or a full year at one of nearly 200 participating institutions across the country and schools in Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

Students would pay their normal UK tuition during their stay; payments for housing varies by individual school.

Schools in every region of the country participate in the program. Students who are interested in studying in a large city could explore options such as the University of Missouri-St. Louis, or the University of New Orleans.

The exchange program also offers exchanges to other SEC schools such as Mississippi State University and the University of Alabama.

The program offers more exotic exchange destinations as well, such as the University of Hawaii, or coastal locations like California State University-Monterey Bay in Seaside, California.

Simpson encouraged students to take advantage of the opportunity to expand their education and personal growth. “The academic experiences students gain through NSE are important,” Simpson said, “But also the personal development attained and the expansion of student’s comfort zones are vital life experiences.”

The program offers students the opportunity to study in fields that may not be offered at UK, and participating programs are flexible in transferring credit hours.

It is common for juniors and seniors to participate, but Simpson also encouraged younger students to get involved.

“Freshman and sophomores have more time to apply the experiences gained through NSE throughout the rest of their time in college than juniors and seniors,” Simpson said.

Christy Brady, an academic advisor and former interim National Student Exchange coordinator, said the program allows students to stand out when applying for graduate school.

“An N.S.E. experience can really set a student apart from other graduates when it comes time to apply for jobs,” Brady said.

The largest recruiting session for the exchange takes place in the fall, but students who are interested in participating in the program could still do so as early as fall of this year.

Additional information sessions will be held over the summer. Simpson encouraged interested students to reach out to him for more information through an advising appointment or by emailing him at [email protected].