‘Selma’ extends race talks at UK

By Lexington Souers

In an attempt to continue the conversation on race relations, the Late Night Film Series and the Martin Luther King Center are collaborating for a screening of the film “Selma.”

Ali Curd, film coordinator with the Late Night Film Series, said the Late Night Film Series had already chosen “Selma” to be the first movie of the semester, but wanted to collaborate with, and support, the Martin Luther King Center.

“I’m hoping to show that MLK Day is not just a day off,” Curd said. “You’re supposed to do something good with that time off.”

Selma will play this Thursday at 10 p.m. in Memorial Hall, but Curd suggested arriving a half hour early. “Under the Same Moon,” a film shown in collaboration with the Latino Student Union, begins at 7 p.m.

“Come prepared to learn,” Curd said. “Be prepared for a possible paradigm shift in how you think about history and how things are now. Be prepared to feel a little riled up, like you’re ready to take on the world and change some things.”

Students interested in other LNFS screenings can check out the group’s Facebook and Twitter pages for this semester’s films and community events that correlate.

“I hope it gets a good discourse going about how our past affects our present, because some people don’t think that it does,” Curd said. “Race relations have been a big thing on campus this year, so we’re just trying to continue egging on that conversation and bringing it around to something positive.”

Curd said the goal is to get people to think critically and to see how events impact history.

Isaac Epps, an accounting and finance senior and program intern at the MLK Center, said the movie helps recognize King’s accomplishments.

“We all want to honor the great American that Martin Luther King was,” Epps said.

The showing is the first of several events that celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day. A week after the showing of Selma, there will be a march and vigil dedicated to recognizing inequality on Jan. 21, at 5 p.m.

During the walk, people will act out several scenes portraying issues important to the MLK Center. After the vigil, students and community members will be able to gather and talk about each scene.