Geology Club ‘rocks’ out with different adventures

Shelby Klingerman

More than just rocks or mountains, the UK Geology Club shares a love for being outdoors instead of focusing solely on geology.

The club, run by President Thomas Murrell and Vice President Matthew Cecil, does more than collect and inspect rocks while welcoming students of all majors.

Rebecca Freeman, assistant professor and director of undergraduate studies in the Earth and Environmental Sciences department, serves as an adviser for the club.

“Geology Club is meant for people who enjoy the outdoors, so we actually have a lot of members that are not geology majors,” Freeman said. “It broadens the group of people that these students get to interact with.”

Members plan a variety of trips to go hiking, kayaking, rock climbing, camping, or any other outdoor activity members might enjoy.

The Geology Club also fund-raises in order to prevent their members from having to pay dues as well as donating to a charity of their choice.

One of the ways they raise money is through “Coffee Cart,” a once-a-month event where members sell coffee and baked goods outside the Mining and Mineral Resources Building. They are also currently in the process of making a Tough Mudder team to raise money to a charity of the club’s choosing.

Students set up a table once a semester at Leestown Middle School’s “Science Night Extravaganza,” where parents in the industry can network with the club members. The club also networks with the American Institute of Professional Geologists, which provides scholarships and internships.

“We do a lot of professional networking. We meet people in both private and public sectors of the geoscience industries,” Cecil said.

The Geology Club gathers on the third Wednesday of every month at 5 p.m. in the Slone Research Building. Free pizza is provided to those who attend.