Students score free pre-Valentine’s Day jazz show

Jefawn Evans

UK students celebrated Valentine’s Day early with a free jazz concert Thursday night at the Singletary Center.

Director of jazz studies Miles Osland and UK’s own jazz ensemble put on “A Jazzy Valentine Concert” with openers Raleigh Dailey and the Lab Band.

The valentine’s concert has been an annual event for more than 25 years. Both Osland and Dailey, an associate professor of jazz studies and director of the Lab Band, have been a part of it since they started working at UK.

“We’ve been doing this every year now since I’ve been here and even before,” Osland said. “Not only the jazz ensemble, but Raleigh Dailey and the Lab Band have always opened the concert.”

The Lab Band opened up the show with “My Funny Valentine” and performed a total of six songs.

The show seemed to be a success among the audience as they stood and applauded.

“This isn’t our first show. We like their performances,” freshman and English major Kate Heinon said. “We’ll definitely attend more shows in the future.”

The jazz band performed a total of six songs and closed the show with “Bebopper’s Blues” earning a standing ovation from the crowd.

UK’s Lab Band and jazz band want more people to come out and support the shows.

“Jazz is greatly underappreciated. It’s one of the few major art forms started in the U.S.,” said Coty Taylor, a junior jazz band pianist who has been a part of this show for three years. “The best thing people can do is come out to the concerts and discover this music.”

UK’s jazz bands next event will be March 26at the 9th annual Big Band Blast, with special guest artist Jeff Jarvis. All jazz concerts are free and open to UK students. For more upcoming UK jazz events visit finearts.uky.edu.