Lexington offers non-alcoholic ventures

By Rebecca Feigin [email protected]

Pinterest Party

Where? The Hub, William T. Young Library

When? Feb. 10 from 6 to 9 p.m.

UK’s Student Activities Board is known for hosting popular campus events. One great non-alcoholic event option is SAB’s Pinterest Party.

“Pinterest Parties are crafting events. SAB provides the supplies to make crafts based off of Pinterest,” SAB Director of Campus Life Jill Marks said.

The event is a three-hour open window for crafting and takes place about twice every semester.  

“Crafting is great for stress relief and is shown to be very therapeutic,” Marks said.

Marks wants participants to be able to leave the event with new ideas or even new friendships. On average, 35-40 people attend these Pinterest Parties, but last semester one of the events had upwards of 90 people attend. Students can follow SAB on Pinterest to get inspiration for their crafts throughout the year.

Coffee & Canvases

UK’s Cultural Arts portion of the Student Activities Board is holding the Coffee and Canvases event Feb. 11 between 5 and 8 p.m. at the King Alumni House.

“Coffee and Canvases is based off the popular Painting with a Twist. We decided that providing coffee and donuts would be am ore campus-friendly and age-appropriate option for most students,” said Taylor Hamilton, Director of Cultural Arts.  Hamilton said students should attend this event to get a taste of what art can be, make their own art, and take home a souvenir.

“Art comes in many forms and you don’t have to consider yourself an artist to enjoy art,” Hamilton said. “Cultural Arts tries to host a variety of events that serve to introduce non-art majors to art in non-traditional ways.”

CSF

Among the many groups at UK, the Christian Student Fellowship is one of the most well known.

According to Keith McMunn, an associate staff member at CSF, their most popular events are “a dogfight between Synergy on Thursday nights and pancakes on Friday nights.” Friday night pancake dinner offers students a free meal, and the chance to meet new friends. McMunn said about 500 people attend Synergy each week while pancakes has about 550 people each week.

“If we have a cheesy motto it’s that we want to be the most hospitable place in the galaxy,” McMunn said. “Most people hang at CSF because they have fun when they do and because it’s a place to connect with other people, no matter where you are in life.”

Michael Johnathon’s WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour    

If you are willing to wander downtown on a Monday night to the Lyric Theater, you can spend between one and a half to two hours experiencing a live audience radio television network broadcast.

Michael Johnathon, the creator of WoodSongs, said he created the show because “as a singer, songwriter, and performer I wanted to open a gateway to the audience using radio and television for artists like myself.”

Every Monday night, about 300 to 400 people file in to experience WoodSongs, which is aired in 173 nations on more than 500 radio stations and on public television coast to coast.  

He said people’s love for music is what allows WoodSongs to be the “only full syndicated multi-format broadcast in the world that is all volunteer run.

“The audience gets to know the artists, who they are, what their dreams are, what they had to fight in order to get there, an their love for the music,” Jonathon said.  

WoodSongs is all about music and conversation. Artists come on the show to talk about their lives and their careers.

“The great triad of the music world is a good artist, a good song, and a good audience,” he said. “When you take one of those elements away, then you have the musical equivalent of beige (boring).”

Common Grounds Open Mic Night

Common Grounds Coffee House is a popular coffee shop with several locations throughout Lexington. For the open mic nights, head to the original coffee shop on East High Street at around 7:30pm on a Monday night. People wanting to participate should arrive at 7 p.m. to sign up.

“Common Grounds started Open Mic Night to provide a venue for the community to grow around and to showcase people’s art and their vocal talent,” said Matt Durham, Common Grounds employee.

About 75 to 100 people attend each open night night, with about 16 performers.

SAB

The Student Activities Board is a go-to on-campus resource for non-alcoholic ventures. The group often holds events or helps other clubs draw in a crowd.

“SAB is one of the largest programming organizations on campus. We program and plan over 60 events a semester. We don’t just bring campus the Fall Concert. SAB works hard all year to bring great events to students. Everything is planned by students, for students,” said Jill Marks, Director of Campus Life for SAB.

There are always things going on with SAB, and if there isn’t, there is a great chance that through the group, students will be able to find other organizations around campus holding their own events. For more information, visit the SAB website.