Capilouto calls on UK community to be vocal in opposition to state budget

President Eli Capilouto emailed campus with news that the university would be appealing decisions of the Attorney General. Among their appeals is a lawsuit against the Kernel, which requested records of the investigation into the sexual harassment claims against associate professor James Harwood. 

News Staff

President Eli Capilouto called on the UK community to talk with their legislators about the impact of Gov. Matt Bevin’s proposed budget cuts. 

Bevin proposed his budget shortly after his inauguration, and it has since been the center of protests, petitions and lobbying in the State Capitol. The budget hit higher education hard, cutting UK’s general funds from the state by 4.5 percent this fiscal year and 9 percent the next.

“I shared with the Senate the impact of your work – work that transforms the lives of our students and the health and well-being of people across our state and world,” Capilouto wrote in a campus-wide email. 

In Capilouto’s email, he encouraged students and faculty to reach out to legislators to tell “them to reject the proposed cuts to the University of Kentucky and maintain the current funding.”

Capilouto also introduced a website called “University for Kentucky” in his email. 

“It also dispels many of the misconceptions regarding our budget, expenditures, and how we utilize our vital state investment,” Capilouto wrote. 

Capilouto ended his email by thanking students and faculty for their contributions to UK.

“I remain emboldened and gratified by the work you do on behalf of those we serve,” Capilouto wrote.

People can call the legislative message line at 800-372-7181 or can go to lrc.ky.gov and clicking find your legislator.