Kentucky Scholar Intern application deadline approaches

Michael Ayers

The deadline for the Kentucky Scholar Intern program is approaching.

Applications for Kentucky Scholar Intern, a program looking for rising juniors and seniors interested in local or state government agencies and nonprofit organizations, are due March 28.

Participants will be focusing during the five-month-long program on “economically distressed areas of Eastern Kentucky, but placements may occur in other unique program locations in Kentucky targeting the least advantaged or special needs.”

Program Director Todd Stoltzfus said, “KSI students are embedded with nonprofits in the region, combining a ‘study away’ type of program with an AmeriCorps kind of experience. Students can, at the same time, earn academic credit through service learning, independent study, practicums, distance learning or research.”

“KSI matches the students interests and needs to find the best internship for you,” Stoltzfus added.

KSI is partnering with numerous other agencies including the Center for Rural Development, Christian Appalachian Project, Forward in the Fifth, IDEA: Center for Excellence and Pine Mountain Settlement School.

KSI’s partnership with Pine Mountain settlement school serves people in Harlan County as a community center, a place for people to innovate, and a place for programs for families.

“You get to live and work in one of the most biological diverse areas,” said Susan Brown, director of environmental education.

KSI was a national finalist at the April 2015 Service Year + Higher Education Challenge in Washington D.C. The idea was sponsored by the Franklin Project at the Aspen Institute, the Corporation for National and Community Service, the National Committee on Citizenship and the Lumina Foundation.

Jacob Ewing, UK senior, and Todd Stoltzfus pitched the KSI idea in a “Shark Tank” like competition in front of a panel of judges that included Bill Basl, Director of AmeriCorps, Maureen Curley, former President of Campus Compact, Alan Khazei, Co-founder of City Year, Harris Wofford, former U.S. Senator and former CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service under President Bill Clinton.

The goal for KSI is to partner with other universities and to have the program spread out across Kentucky.

Housing options will be provided along with a $1,000 stipend to help cover utilities, rent etc.

The internship will last from July 15-Dec. 15.  and students need a 3.4 GPA.

More information on how to apply can be found here: http://www.uky.edu/UGE/cnp/ksi.