Ultimate Frisbee team takes students to new heights

Students play frisbee on Stoll Field in Lexington, Ky., on Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Photo by Michael Reaves | Staff

James Parr

Students at UK have the chance to cheer for some of the best sports teams in the nation.

The UK Ultimate Frisbee team, KULT, gives ordinary students the ability to not just cheer on a successful team, but to actually be a member of one.

Founded in the early 2000s by a few students, KULT has evolved into a skilled, competitive athletic club that competes with many big universities, including Purdue, Indiana, Louisville, and Southern Indiana.

Recently, KULT finished second place at the Indy Invite, a tournament held in Indianapolis during the first weekend of April.

KULT boasts remarkable consistency, with routine appearances in the regional postseasons in the East Plains section, which includes teams from both Kentucky and Indiana.

Part of the team’s success can be attributed to Preston Goulson, who has helped coach KULT for the past three seasons.

Goulson and the team, which consists of mainly undergraduates, hope to keep adding to KULT’s long list of achievements and accolades.

While the team is performing well in regional sections, KULT hopes to one day represent UK on an even larger scale.

“The long-term goals of the team, like any team, are to make it to the highest level of the game and compete at college nationals,” Goulson said.

Aside from garnering an impressive trophy cabinet, students can have many unique, positive experiences by playing Ultimate Frisbee at UK.

From traveling to different cities and states to building lifelong friendships, KULT offers regular students the excitement and fun of playing on a competitive sports team that forms strong social connections.

“We [the team] hang out a lot outside of practice too, attending events like football and basketball games, Keeneland, and Nick Offerman shows together,” Goulson said.

KULT’s practices involve a great deal of conditioning. Throughout the warmer months, the team is outside perfecting their throws and catches, practicing various plays, running, and scrimmaging.

During the winter, KULT heads to the Alumni Gym where they partake in more conditioning and improve their footwork.

Adam Garner, who has been involved with the team since 2011, said he recognizes the positive impacts of KULT both socially and physically.

“There are more benefits to being a part of UK’s ultimate team than I can even name,” Garner said.

Students on KULT are given the opportunity to wear their jerseys with pride as they represent their school in tournaments, as well as experience the feeling of belonging to a club that prides itself on building fraternal relationships.

“As long as the team is progressing and the players are having fun while making friends, UK Ultimate has achieved its main goal,” Garner said.

To get involved with KULT email [email protected].