Law series tackles women’s issues in law

Kalie Marantette

The UK College of Law Women Law Caucus held its first lecture in a series called “Inspirational Women in the Law” on Sept. 27. Fayette Circuit CourtJudge Pamela Goodwine was featured as the first guest speaker for this series of lectures to come.

The series of lectures was created by Allie Miller, a third-year law student and current education chair after she felt there wasn’t enough insight into what really happens after law school.

“I hope that these lectures show female law students what you can do with your degree,” Miller said.

The lecture series allows women who are lawyers and judges to speak to students about their life journey and how they got to where they are now.

“My thought process in calling the series ‘Inspirational Women in the Law’ was meant to include all women in this profession, not just those who achieve a very high level of success, because I believe that any woman who enters this male dominated field and has a successful career is truly inspirational,” Miller said.

Related: Professor simulates TED Talk for students

The second lecture of the series is planned to be held in November, featuring Assistant U.S. Attorney Kate Smith for the Eastern District of Kentucky. Smith will be  speaking about what she did after law school, and how she went from working for a law firm to working for the government.

Smith is the only planned guest speaker for the remainder of the semester, but lectures will continue through the spring. Currently, next semester’s guests consist of a panel of four to five women in law who will be discussing how to work in law while taking care of a family.

For the future of “Inspirational Women in the Law,” Miller expressed her desire to have at least one more judge on top of Goodwine’s appearance at the first lecture, and a female worker for a law firm. Miller hopes that by the end of the school year, there will also be an appearance from a female judge on Kentucky’s court panel or a female judge from the Supreme Court.

“Inspirational Women in the Law” is a great way for students to connect with women in the workforce and see what really happens after law school.

“I hope that these lectures inspire female law students, that are entering a fairly male dominant career, to not stress over their profession,” Miller said.