Aside from awards, Hooper just your average student

Third-year medical student Perry Hooper poses for a portrait at the entrance of the University of Kentucky’s Albert B. Chandler Hospital on Sunday, October 16, 2016, in Lexington, Ky. Hooper took home four awards at UK College of Medicine’s annual Academic Convocation and Awards Day. Photo by Joshua Qualls | Staff

Nailah Spencer

Kentucky native and third-year medical student, Perry Hooper stole the show at the UK College of Medicine’s annual Academic Convocation and Awards Day ceremony. Hooper took home four awards, including the Cobern E. Ott award and Anatomy Student Mentor Program award.

His awards recognized him for his mentorship and high GPA. According to Hooper, the awards pale in comparison to the support he’s received from friends and family.

“It’s not just getting the award, it’s having your friends and family and colleagues all be happy for you at the same time; that’s really gratifying,” Hooper said.

Hooper completed his five years of undergrad at UK, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Spanish and Biology. Hooper says his decision to attend UK’s medical school was due to the challenge it presented and in part to the talks he had with other med students who stressed the knowledge and experience they were gaining from the program. This, along with his experience during his undergraduate years at UK made his decision an easy one.

Whether it’s mentoring first year medical students, working at Containing Education Central or tending to his new puppy, Hooper always finds time to put God, his family and education first. Originally from Paducah, Kentucky, Hooper has developed a deep appreciation for the Lexington area.

Related: Wild Fig keeping book shop nostalgia alive

“Kentucky’s my home, it’s always been my home so I would like to stay here,” Hooper said. “I love Lexington.”

In the next ten years he sees himself finishing medical school, completing his residency and practicing medicine. In addition to practicing medicine, he also aspires to be work at an academic institution.

“I taught a little bit in undergrad, I was a chemistry TA,” Hooper said.

According to Hooper, his passions for mentorship and mission work are what inspires him to want to be a Doctor and educator.

Hooper’s busy schedule could possibly leave others a little overwhelmed, but he says that his ability to create balance in his life and manage his time is extremely helpful. His free time includes training his new golden retriever, working out, hanging with friends and following UK sports. When Hooper doesn’t have the free time due to midterms or other reasons he always remembers to keep his head up.

“Your purpose is to help people, that’s what your purpose in life is, so whenever you’re doing these long hours and you’re up late and you’re studying all of the time, it’s really helpful to step back and take a moment to think why am I doing this, and that keeps you going and keeps you motivated,” Hooper said.