UK, Aramark no longer consider Coca-Cola and Home City Ice to be local food

LocalFoodOnline.jpg

LocalFoodOnline.jpg

By Blair Johnson

UK will alter their classification of “local foods” to include more products from Kentucky farmers.

The university will have to work with its partner Aramark to determine how much food they purchase and, more importantly, where it is purchased.

Aramark is a business that provides food services, facilities and uniform services to hospitals, universities, school districts, stadiums, prisons and other businesses around the world, according to the company’s website. UK partnered with Aramark in 2014 for on-campus dining.

For the 2015-16 year, UK Dining increased local sourcing by 20 percent, according to UKNOW’s website. UK defines local in its UK Dining Sourcing Report for 2015-16 as any product sourced from Fayette and its six adjoining counties. It can also purchase Kentucky Proud products, which are foods, nursery items, crafts, agritourism sites, farmers’ markets, state parks and many other products and destinations with roots in Kentucky soil, according to Kentucky Proud’s website.

“Local produce is great for students because they have fresh fruit and vegetable options instead of snacks that lack nutritional value,” said Natalie Heimbrock, a sophomore dietetics major. 

Related: Heal your body with bone broth 

During the 2014-15 school year, more than $1 million spent on local products was spent on Coca-Cola and ice, a Lexington Herald-Leader open records request revealed. Coca-Cola was previously counted because Lexington hosts a distribution plant for the company.

Buying local products helps UK establish strong relationships within the city of Lexington and, in turn, it helps local farmers and producers. One partnership UK has is with The Boone Creek Creamery.

“It is wonderful that UK has embraced local food. The economics is important, but the quality of food is what really matters,” Ed Puterbaugh, owner of Boone Creek Creamery, said. “UK uses a lot of our cheese, which we take pride in because we do not add any chemicals to it.”  

In August 2014, President Eli Capilouto approved a proposal for The Food Connection, a public-private partnership between UK and Aramark that aids in growing a vibrant food economy in Kentucky. Aramark backed The Food Connection with a $5 million investment.

“As part of our research on farm to campus programs, we investigated possible measures of local food impact, and assessed the limitations and advantages of various metrics,” said Lilian Brislen, executive director of The Food Connection. “Our findings were made available to decision makers in their process of crafting new goals and contract terms.”