Avoid the cough, get a shot

Flu+Shot.jpg

Flu Shot.jpg

Naliah Spencer

To avoid coughing, sneezing and other gross flu-like symptoms, students can get flu vaccines at a discounted price through University Health Services during October. 

Students are able to get shots for $10, faculty for $20, and students with valid UK student insurance plans can get vaccinated for free. Only four more opportunities are left to get vaccinated at a discounted price on campus. 

Students can visit flu shot stations at various locations on campus Oct. 12, 18, 19 and 26. 

These locations include William T. Young Library, the Johnson Center and Univerisity Health Services.

It is that time of the year when the weather is getting colder, midterms are getting closer and students are spreading germs like wildfire.

Related: Empty bowls, open hearts

The process at the campus flu shot stations is quick and easy. Students get in line, sign in with their student ID cards, pay a $10 fee and get an injection. 

Some of the benefits of getting vaccinated are decreasing the chances of getting the flu and decreasing flu symptoms if one gets the flu. 

“It’s not 100 percent  effective, but last year, I believe it was determined to be almost 77 percent effective.” Scott said. 

After the injection, the vaccine takes about two weeks to build up the body’s immunity to the flu. If one comes in contact with someone who has the flu,  the vaccinated person could possibly get the flu. 

According to Scott, some popular myths about the vaccination are that it causes autism and that it makes people sick. It has been proven that it does not cause autism. The vaccine also does not have a live virus, therefore it cannot make people sick. The most common symptom is redness or soreness at the injection site. Vaccinated people possibly run a fever or have cold symptoms. 

“I always tell people just take some Tylenol or ibuprofen and you should be fine,” UK’s Director of Nursing Mindy Scott said. She said that one in a million people have severe reactions, but these could be because of an unknown allergy. 

Related: Donuts from the ‘upside-down’ invade North Lime Coffee

In addition to getting vaccinated at a discounted price, students also receive a goody bag from the Student Health Advisory Council. This organization hosts and volunteers at events to promote health for students on campus. 

On Oct. 7, at least 100 students were lined up to get shots, most of which were nursing students. 

Students in the College of Nursing are required to get vaccinated. Nursing students not only get shots — they administer them. Graduate level pharmacy students also administer shots.

“We have our clinicals in the hospital, so we’re around a bunch of sick patients, so obviously it’s a benefit,” said Lauren Riney, a nursing junior. “We don’t want to get the flu or any other type of illnesses.” 

Brittney Santella, a physical therapy freshman, was required to get a flu shot as well. 

“This is actually my first time getting a flu shot,” she said. 

Michael Kithcart, a second semester sophomore was one of many nursing students giving out vaccinations. He said that “vaccinating yourself is taking the precautionary step.”