UK professor releases second album ‘Ascent’

Haley Woods

Jason Dovel, an assistant professor of trumpet, released his second solo CD “Ascent: New Music for Trumpet” which includes eight new pieces for trumpet, three of which are his own. 

Dovel said his first CD “Lost Trumpet Treasure” took five years to finish because he wanted to find just the right music and theme. 

Dovel had music in his life from the beginning. Dovel’s first foray into music was on the guitar, and he still possesses his first guitar to this day. In the fifth grade he picked up percussion, joking around about the fact he was so short where carrying the snare was a struggle. He said he got bored with percussion and a friend suggested that he pick up trumpet and he fell in love with it. 

Dovel got a degree in music education and a minor in jazz studies from James Madison University, his Masters from Bowling Green State University and his Doctorate from the University of North Texas. Dovel didn’t have plans to teach at UK, but his close friend Vinci Martino encouraged him to apply and he got the job. This is currently Dovel’s fourth year at UK.

Dovel said that learning an instrument has helped him develop good habits.

“I have learned how I learn,” Dovel said.

He also said that learning the trumpet has taught him a lot about himself not only with school but, with communicating with people. 

“I’m happy, I’m a musician,” Dovel said.

Dovel said he just wants to help his students succeed and continue to pursue their own careers.

Dovel said the only way he’ll leave UK is if it closes.

“I can’t imagine doing anything other than teaching music,” Dovel said. “Do what you love and if you do that you’ll find a way to make money.” 

You can get the “Ascent: New Music for Trumpet” on CD Baby, iTunes, Spotify and you can also buy a physical copy from Professor Dovel himself.