Dermody selected as next Kernel editor-in-chief

The Kentucky Kernel named Paidin Dermody as the 2017-2018 Editor-in-Chief on March 22nd, 2017.

Matt Wickstrom

Adversity means jumping back up when life knocks you down. For Paidin Dermody, when adversity in the form of a moving car knocked her down in late January, she got back up and battled through her injuries and trauma to be named the next editor-in-chief of the Kentucky Kernel.

The Kernel Board selected Dermody, a Journalism and English sophomore with a minor in photography for her detailed plan to expand the Kernel’s digital footprint, while continuing to offer a weekly print edition formatted like the KRNL magazine, the Kernel’s once-a-semester fashion magazine.

“I feel lucky – opportunity met preparation, and I now have the great responsibility of following a talented line of editors-in-chief to continue the storied history of the Kernel as one of the preeminent student publications in the country,” Dermody said. “Good people and great journalism will deliver an evolved, enlightened and entertaining product to our readers.”

Dermody got involved with the Kernel early on in her freshman year at UK as a contributing columnist for the opinions desk. In the Fall 2016 semester, she began as opinions editor before becoming news editor near the semester’s end. Dermody is currently managing editor at the Kernel.

She plans to expand the Kernel’s digital footprint by engaging more on social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat and envisions emphasizing coverage of campus and university issues, including continuing coverage of the Kernel’s ongoing lawsuit with UK.

Dermody also has a goal of earning another National Pacemaker Award, regarded as the Pulitzer Prize of college journalism, which was awarded to the 2015-16 Kernel staff.

I have known and worked with Paidin since she was a freshman, and I have always been impressed with her desire to challenge herself and improve her craft,” said Marjorie Kirk, the current editor-in-chief. “She has a command of journalistic principles that may seem surprising for her age, but I think her wisdom will prove to be her best asset to the Kernel staff.

Like previous editors-in-chief, Dermody will receive a $10,000 scholarship funded by former editor-in-chief Jack Guthrie, who established the scholarship to ensure the individual had the time to commit him or herself to the job and all it entails.

“We had two really great candidates this year, which I think is always a reflection of the current editor,” said Duane Bonifer, the Kernel Press board chairman. “The greatest legacy of any editor is who succeeds them. It’s also a compliment to the outstanding professional staff that the Kernel has and the great professors in the school of journalism who got them prepared to this point.”

News editor Kat Manouchehri was also a candidate for the editor-in-chief position, and will work alongside Dermody next year as managing editor.