Delta Gamma speaker to address sexual assault prevention

Karoline McKaig

As Panhellenic’s Month of the Woman comes to a close, the UK Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council and National Pan-Hellenic Council present sexual assault prevention and awareness with speaker Logan Davis.

All month long, UK Panhellenic has held events for their Month of the Woman. National Delta Gamma Fraternity’s Assistant Director of Education and Development for Prevention Programs Logan Davis will be visiting UK during Panhellenic’s most event-filled week.

Katie Conway, vice president of organization for UK Panhellenic, approached Davis after hearing him speak at a conference for Greek life executive councils in February.

“He spoke on how sexual violence isn’t necessarily sexual assault— it’s not necessarily physical aggression, physical or sexual violence, but it can also be mental and emotional,” said Conway. “And how we as Greek men and women can unite together to be more aware of recognizing that and how to intervene when we feel like something isn’t right.”

Conway explained that the councils decided to address sexual assault “not necessarily because it’s prevalent on our campus but because it’s a pressing issue in today’s culture and society.”

According to UK Gender and Women’s Studies professor Charlie Yi Zhang, “in some cases, (sexual assault culture) is not just the physical, sexual encounter,” but the “rhetoric mechanism” associated with such encounters.

There is a heightened risk of sexual assault in atmospheres such as college campuses, where student organizations like fraternities and sports teams “create this kind of peer pressure in a way that contributes to many cases of sexual assaults,” Dr. Zhang said. College-aged women are twice as likely to become sexually assaulted than robbed, according to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network.

As an expert in the study of gender relations, Dr. Zhang has been a part of many discussions like the one being held this Wednesday. He believes it is through such events that “we can actually help address and dismantle the larger invisible structure that contributes to this broader social phenomenon that is rape culture.”

The free event is open to everyone on campus and will be held at Memorial Hall from 7-9 p.m. on Wednesday, March 29.