Panhellenic Council takes steps towards diversity

CeCe Friel

Thomas Berry once said, “Diversity is the magic. It is the first manifestation, the first beginning of the differentiation of a thing and of simple identity. The greater the diversity, the greater the perfection.”

UK has said it will be joining schools like Vanderbilt and Northwestern in an effort to make Greek life more diverse and inclusive. Part of these efforts include the installation of UK’s Panhellenic Council’s first ever Diversity and Inclusion Chair.

Amy Nutt, a junior in the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority, was selected as the Diversity and Inclusion Chair. She is still in search of passionate people to fill her committee.

The goal of the position is to facilitate the process of uniting all four councils (Panhellenic, IFC, NPHC, and UGC) with the assistance of a committee composed of one representative from every Greek organization on campus.

“We are looking for outgoing and creative individuals from every Greek organization who are motivated to create positive change on our campus by celebrating diversity,” Nutt said.

As a part of this committee, the representatives from each Greek Organization will meet monthly to discuss ways to bring the councils together and ways to better support each other.

The Greek organizations will discuss what each can do to allow potential members of other diverse backgrounds to feel welcome within any council they are hoping to join.

Nutt said she hopes the committee will form friendships and partnerships across the four Greek councils that in turn will create a more unified and inclusive environment for every student at UK.

Greek life has been known for its philanthropic work. So bringing the councils together to support each other’s philanthropy events cannot only benefit the councils, but it could also benefit the philanthropies. The greater the numbers, the greater the amount of good that will be done.

While this committee aims to strengthen the support between the councils, it also aims to strengthen the bonds between people within the organizations.

To be a part of this important shift from separation to unity, join Panhellenic and the effort to bring this campus together by getting involved with your organization’s representative.

Email [email protected].