SGA unveils community closet Wildcat Wardrobe

Kinesiology junior Erika Swilley tries on a jacket at the grand opening of the University of Kentuckyís Wildcat Wardrobe in Lexington, Ky., on Wednesday, March 8, 2017. The Student Government Association operates the Wildcat Wardrobe, located in Blazer Hall room 249, based on donations and gives professional clothing to students for free. Photo by Joshua Qualls | Staff

Morgan Smith

Wildcat Wardrobe opened Wednesday in room 250 Blazer Dining.

The Wildcat Wardrobe is a service created by the Student Government Association that provides free, professional clothes to UK students.

At its grand opening, the Wardrobe was full of current, professional clothes all organized by item. Among the clothing items were button-down shirts, sophisticated skirts and polished shoes.

Students could try on items in the dressing room and take home items they liked, free of charge.

“I hope that Wildcat Wardrobe will eliminate any anxiety felt by students about what clothing they will wear after receiving a job interview or internship,” SGA President Rowan Reid said. “Their accomplishments should be moments of excitement for them and should not be overshadowed by the worry of how they will afford professional clothing.”

Reid was inspired by similar services implemented successfully in other SEC schools.

“We felt that our students deserved these same resources, at no cost to them,” Reid said. 

The program is available for all UK students to use, regardless of background and financial status.

“Any student can come and get one full outfit, including shoes, or three articles of clothing, so if you already have pants you can come out and just get three shirts,” SGA Director of Communications Blair Johnson said.

Johnson worked closely with Reid to bring Wildcat Wardrobe to life and said she hopes students will both utilize and contribute to the service. Students can also donate clothes to the program.

The grand opening also included a resume workshop, where a representative from the Stuckert Career Center was available to review student resumes and offer advice on how to prepare for job interviews.

The Wildcat Wardrobe will be open every Wednesday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., and students can email [email protected] to set up a time to make a donation.