Dressing for the job you want on a budget

By McKenna Horsley. Via Polyvore. 

No worries! You can afford to look the part without having it yet. Today, we have some tips to style your wardrobe into a sharp ensemble. 

Go through what you own first

You might be surprised at what you own already. Gather accessories and clothing items that are currently in your closet. Dresses you wore for your sorority Bid Day or an elegant top you wore for your class presentation might make a great work outfit. You might find pieces you have not worn for a while and forgot it about; it is like shopping but without the cost!

Find versatile pieces

If you are just starting to look for business wear, keep it simple. You will find that a basic colored dress can be paired with more accessories than a vibrantly patterned one. Buy items that you know you will wear regularly, like blazers, dress pants or a nice pair of work shoes. Think what will be in style year-round. Also, since these items are essentials to have, you can usually find these pieces for low prices. 

Show your style in accessories

Here is where you can show your personality in your work wear. A bold statement necklace can enhance a t-shirt dress and make it work-appropriate. A watch can show your colleagues how serious you are about punctuality. Whatever your personality is, let it shine with your bling. 

Don’t forget other resources

If I’m not sure about my professional clothes, I ask other professional women. Find out where they shop and you’ll find more places to explore. Also, use a website like Pinterest to keep a board for clothing inspiration or make a wish list of items you want to buy when you have your career. 

Also, as a UK student, you can use the Student Government Association’s Wildcat Wardrobe, which opened last semester. Open to all students, the program has many professional clothing options for men and women.