Letter from the Editor

The Kentucky Kernel named Paidin Dermody as the 2017-2018 Editor-in-Chief on March 22nd, 2017.

Paidin Dermody

The start of the new school year here at UK is signifying the start of the new Kentucky Kernel, a more innovative and productive publication geared toward getting the best quality news out to our readers.

We’ve been refocusing our activities to rejuvenate both our print and digital publications. The new format will be a weekly magazine with daily online publications. This move to digital first will allow us to cover the immediate news online on our site and on social media, and focus on the longer, human interest stories in the magazine.

“I want to see our online presence double, if not triple, this year,” Managing Editor Katherine Manouchehri said. “Readers can look forward to several new aspects on the web and other social platforms, like Snapchat, Instagram and Facebook.”

A student-run publication should be an engaging environment for our readers to come to for content and commentary on university and local issues of import to the student body, alumni and local readership.

“One of my goals is increased coverage,” News Editor Bailey Vandiver said. “I don’t want any event or information to go by and for me to have to say, ‘We should’ve covered that.’ I want the Kernel news desk to be a constant source of information online and the news in the magazine to be both insightful and entertaining for everyone who picks up a copy.”

As Editor-in-Chief, I wish to have a substantive impact on our paper, university and community. My staff will be driven by the highest level of journalistic values, ethics and integrity. While I may not have all the answers, together we will ask the right questions, while uncovering and putting forth the facts, in an informative and engaging manner for the benefit of our readers.