Local Café Opens, Helps Community

The new Mediterranean restaurant, Taziki’s, opened a second location in late July in the Hamburg area in Lexington. 

Sarah Ladd

Taziki’s Mediterranean Café celebrated its second location opening in Lexington on Tuesday, July 25. The new site is 3,200 square feet and includes covered outdoor patio seating. 

The clean and refreshing Mediterranean décor features hardwood furnishings, natural stone, wood finishes and residential lighting, setting the tone for the perfect dining escape.

“I am thrilled to open a second Taziki’s in Lexington,” Mike Scanlon, the local owner of Taziki’s Mediterranean Café, said. “We can’t wait to introduce even more of the Kentucky community to the delicious and healthy food of Taziki’s.”

Taziki’s first opened in 2016. They serve lunch and dinner, cater and have take-out options. The menu features freshly grilled meats, original sauces and healthy side dishes.

Taziki’s is a longtime supporter of Habitat for Humanity, and celebrated their new site with a generous $60,000 donation to the Lexington branch. The money has provided a new home for a local family, the Kapudis.

On July 27, Lexington Habitat Partner Family Jacky Kapudi began construction of her home. Taziki’s staff and community volunteers joined Kapudi over the course of 16 volunteer days to help build her home.

Kapudi works at UK and she and her children love to cook in their free time. She is grateful that the home will provide a stable space for her two daughters and one son to grow and learn.

Kapudi volunteered a total of 270 sweat equity hours, going well beyond the required 250 hours. While she spent many of these hours building her home, she also attended Lexington Habitat partner family education classes to ensure a smooth transition to homeownership.

Rachel Smith Childress, CEO for Lexington’s Habitat for Humanity, commented on the new opening, saying, “When you walk into Taziki’s, it is bright and cheerful. You are greeted with big smiles and you know great food is coming your way – it feels like home. That is what Habitat wants for its homebuyer families – a place to call home, a place where shelter will provide stability, self-reliance and strength. Taziki’s commitment to quality, affordable housing is a blessing not only to the families served but our community as a whole. We are very grateful for their partnership in accomplishing our vision that everyone has a decent place to live.”  

Taziki’s owner, Mike Scanlon, is excited about this partnership.

“Our friends at Habitat for Humanity have given our community the opportunity to provide one of our most important needs, affordable housing, for many years. They are a leader in improving the quality of life for families and their neighborhoods. Taziki’s is honored to partner with them as they continue to help Lexington thrive.”

Taziki’s also made a $50,000 donation to Frederick Douglas High School, a local high school dedicated to pushing their students to a high level of academic achievement.

“Taziki’s is a great partner of Douglass High School,” Lester Diaz, executive principle at the high school, said. “They truly care about their community and they understand the impact, importance, and interdependence of the local economy.”

Lester says the donation from Taziki’s will go to support the school’s arts programs: Drama, Chorus, Band, Orchestra and Art. 

The new café is located at 1916 Justice Drive Lexington, KY 40905. Menu information and dietary information can be found on the café’s website, tazikiscafe.com.