Religious organizations welcome students to campus, give them a home

Angel Logan

Coming to college can be difficult, but one thing that makes this new environment more enjoyable is finding a home away from home. The many religious organizations on UK’s campus provide comfort and community for students.

There are countless religious groups on campus for UK students to attend, but a few of the options are Christian Student Fellowship, UK Hillel, Catholic Newman Center, Baptist Campus Ministry and the Muslim Student Association.

CSF is a non-denominational Christian ministry that hosts many parties, group meetings and social events, which everyone is welcome.

CSF is ending K Week with a party from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday, August 25. CSF also hosts weekly worship and church services. Shift is on Mondays at 6 p.m., targeted towards freshmen, with a service at 8 p.m. on Thursdays for everyone.

Gabby Torres is a UK senior who currently works at CSF.

“CSF exist to bring the love and joy of Christ to campus through different events, where everyone is welcome no matter what,” Torres said.

UK Hillel is a Jewish campus community. The Hillel Vice President Lela Lyon said that although it isn’t a ministry, those at the Hillel still try to welcome students of all backgrounds who are interested in Judaism and making connections to life in the Jewish community on campus. There are monthly Shabbat dinners and events and celebrations centered around major Jewish holidays.

The Catholic Newman Center is focused on the faculty, staff and students at UK. Kevin Steele is in charge of student outreach at the Newman Center. He said their mission is to build community, serve others and grow together.

On Saturday, Aug. 26, there is an outdoor waterfall and swim adventure trip at Cumberland Falls State Park available for all students. Every Thursday at 8:30 p.m., the center hosts a student night which includes a 30-minute mass, plus a party. There are multiple options for weekend mass, open to anyone.

The BCM is here to serve the broken, encourage the faithful, and connect to Christ. Though they aren’t a church, they support the local churches.

“We as a ministry try to provide a community where students can be loved as Christ loves us,” BCM president Camille Knot said.

On Labor Day weekend, the BCM is taking a mission trip to Chicago help a church plant. Each week, there is worship on Tuesday nights at 7:30 p.m. and Bible study on Thursdays at 7:30 p.m.

“MSA aims to educate people on Islamic principles and be a fun and safe place for all people of all religions to hang out and connect spiritually,” MSA treasurer Saadia Akhtar said.

MSA is hosting a back-to-school picnic on Sunday, Aug. 27 at 5 p.m. at Jacobson Park.

The first meeting of the MSA, an ice cream social open to anyone, is on Thursday, Sept. 7 at 6 p.m., in room 214 of the 90.

Whether thousands of miles away from home or commuting from a local Lexington home, students can find a home away from home, complete with free foods, friends and community, through religious organizations on campus.