Unpopular Opinion: Local Taco is overrated

unpopularopinionssig.png

unpopularopinionssig.png

Everyone has their favorite Lexington restaurant, whether it is one that cures all hangover ailments or serves up favorites that remind them of home. There is one place, however, to rule them all: The Local Taco. Many students who currently attend UK or are an alum agree that Local Taco is the top spot– but they are wrong.

The S. Limestone restaurant is one of the most overrated restaurants near campus. That is not to say knock it before you try it, but there is far too much overstated hype.

For starters, the menu flaunts meals and drinks that are too pricey for what they are worth. Tacos typically run for $3, and while they are the talk of the taco scene, Lexington boasts several other comparable, cheaper options. Ellos on Broadway sells tacos for roughly $1 cheaper. While Local Taco’s food is tasty, the hype surrounding the food is outrageous for what you get.

Then, we have the almost-always out the door line, with a seating style similar to a group of animals fighting over who gets the dead carcass. Thinking of having Saturday or Sunday brunch? Forget about it unless you want to arrive right when the doors open or wait for half an hour to order your food and snag a seat. While delayed gratification is something many people pride themselves on, hungry college students should skip the line and opt for another brunch spot.  

Unless you want to spend money on an Uber (which you probably should if you are there mainly for the pitcher of mimosas), you are probably not going to find a parking spot. Much like the rest of campus, parking is minimal and located in the back of the restaurant with a few street spots. While this is one of the more minor issues, if you have parking anxiety, this is not your place.

Perhaps the best way to put this is to say, Local Taco is not the end all be all of the Lexington food scene. There are plenty of other ways to spend your weekends. Next time you are feeling like a taco or just a nice meal with your friends, explore all Lexington has to offer. Give Willie’s Locally Known or Corto Lima a chance and perhaps you will start the next overhyped restaurant trend.