The Main Event will meet childhood sickness blow-for-blow

The Main Event was hosted by Alpha Delta Pi and Sigma Chi took place at Lexington Convention Center on Friday, November 20, 2015 in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Taylor Pence

Brenna Taylor

Members of the community have the opportunity to throw their hat in the ring to help fundraise for the Ronald McDonald House Charities.

Alpha Delta Pi is hosting a two-day long amateur collegiate boxing event, presented by Legends Boxing Gym, known as The Main Event. It will be at the Lexington Convention Center on Nov. 2 and 3, both from 5 to 8 p.m.

RMHC is an independent nonprofit organization that helps provide houses and resources for families with hospitalized children.

Those who attend The Main Event will see one and a half minute boxing matches of three rounds each, in which both Greek and non-Greek college students will face each other head to head. Pairings will be based from weight classifications from the weigh-in taking place at Tin Roof on November 1 at 6:30 p.m.

Sarah McCurrah, a UK sophomore and member of Delta Delta Delta, will be one of many boxers participating in The Main Event.

I kick boxed in high school and am kind of an aggressive person, so The Main Event is something I’ve always wanted to try out,” McCurrah said.

McCurrah said she typically trains by going to the gym five or six times a week.

“But I’m definitely nervous still,” she said.

Between each round will be a sorority dance competition. A concert hosted by Sigma Alpha Epsilon will follow the last boxing round on Nov. 3. The concert will feature visiting artists MadeinTYO, Roscoe Dash and Cam Wells.

Tad Voss, SAE philanthropy chair, said The Main Event has higher ticket sales than previous years.

“I think the turnout is going to be greater this year,” he said. “We have a lot of marketing going into it and are a little bit more prepared.”

He said the concert adds a new aspect to the event, which will open it up to the city and even neighboring cities.

The Beta Psi Chapter of Alpha Delta Pi at UK has been hosting The Main Event since 2008. Last year, Alpha Delta Pi raised approximately $125,000 through ticket sales, online fundraising, letter drives, personal contributions and sponsorships. Once expenses were accounted for, $67,000 was donated to the local Ronald McDonald House.

UK sophomore Lakin Matthews is a member of Alpha Delta Pi.

“It’s such a rollercoaster of emotions at the Main Event. So much is happening and it is a lot of fun to be a part of it,” Matthews said. “The amount of support we receive from our community is amazing. At the end of the day it all boils down to helping these families with sick children.”

Two-day general admission tickets for The Main Event can be purchased for $40 at the door or in advance. Two-day admission passes include the concert.