Fine Arts features local music

Brenna Taylor

It is no secret that college students love two things: anything free and live music. The UK College of Fine Arts has figured out a way to satisfy both of these guilty pleasures for students on a weekly basis.

Every Friday at noon, the UK College of Music brings in musicians to perform live to students and anyone else from the Lexington community who wishes to join.

This is a part of the ongoing series known as Appalachia in the Bluegrass.

Ron Pen, founder of the John Jacob Niles Center, is the mastermind behind the Appalachia in the Bluegrass series.

Beginning in 2006, Pen had the idea that students in his “Appalachian Music” course should be exposed to live musicians playing the music they were learning about. Musicians were then brought in to perform for the students each Friday during class time. Word of these mini-concerts spread until a variety of people from the Lexington community began to attend.

“Kentucky has a long and rich history of music that draws from the culture of Appalachia,” said Revell Carr, assistant professor of Ethnomusicology. “This series brings a wonderful array of music to campus benefitting students and the wider community.”

Musicians from all over the nation have performed for the series over the past 11 years. Some of the most noteworthy performers have included the Grammy award winning group Carolina Chocolate Drops, Rayna Gellert from the band Uncle Earl and J.D. Crowe & New South.

“It’s very different than the type of music I typically hear, but I like it,” UK student Maddie Chambers said. “I like the change in tone.”

On Sept. 22, Finn Magill, also known as “Finn the Fiddler,” performed a variety of songs for a full room of students and fans in the Niles Gallery in the Lucille Little Library. Magill’s music is heavily influenced by traditional Irish music and is said to reflect his childhood of growing up with music.

“I find the Appalachia in the Bluegrass series actually therapeutic,” UK student Lucy Coleman said. “I just get to sit down and appreciate good music and destress from a hectic week.”

The Appalachia in the Bluegrass series is a great opportunity to relish in Kentucky’s rich history of Appalachian music.