Quade Green provides spark for UK in win

Kentucky freshman guard Quade Green brings the ball up the court during the game against Eastern Tennessee State University on Friday, November 17, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 78-61. Photo by Bailey Vandiver | Staff

Quade Green’s 21 points, the most by a Wildcat this season, helped spark the Cats’ offense in their 78-61 victory over Eastern Tennessee State University.

Green, a freshman point guard from Philadelphia, scored 12 points in the first half, and finished shooting 9-13 from the floor and going 3-5 from the three. His three 3-pointers are tied with Kevin Knox for the most by a Wildcat this season.

In the second half, his field goal and three-point percentage became even better, as he shot 71 percent and 66 percent from the three.

The freshman credits his success as a point guard to how vocal he is.

“I like talking a lot, period. That’s just what I do,” Green said. “Other than that, I just want everybody to do good. I help them stride and they can help me.”

Watch: Quade Green post game interview

“We need him to be aggressive and make jump shots,” head coach John Calipari said in his post-game press conference.

Green did exactly that, as he scored 10 points in a three-minute stretch mid-way through the first half.

“I was just reading how they were playing me, you know shoot when I’m open and then play hard, get in the lane, swing it, get everybody involved. It’s as simple as that,” Green said.

Going into the second half, the Cats were only leading by six points. About two minutes in, Green scored the first points of the half, which sparked an eventual 9-0 run by Kentucky.

Recap: UK defeats ETSU 78-61

Green’s teammates felt that his energy helped the Wildcats tremendously.

“We needed him tonight. He played really good. We are just hoping he continues to play like this,” freshman PJ Washington said. “He’s a great point guard. He’s a great leader and we love to have him on our team.”

Green said he’s enjoying himself “really well,” but playing point guard at the UK isn’t exactly a piece of cake.

“It’s very tough to play for Cal at the PG spot. You just gotta have mental pride, and physical pride, too,” Green said.

Kevin Knox added, “He kinda kept us in the game… In the second half he came out still on fire.”