Interstate blood drive comes to campus this week

Sophomore Maddie Bland donated blood at the Singletary Center for the Arts at University of Kentucky in Lexington, Ky. on Monday, Aug. 28, 2017. Photo by Josh Mott | Staff.

Rick Childress

Kentucky takes on Tennessee this week in the blood center’s annual Cats vs. Vols blood battle. 

Big Blue Crush, Nov. 13-17, is the Kentucky Blood Center’s week-long blood drive competition against the Medic Regional Blood Center in Knoxville, Tennessee, a blood center press release said.

Throughout the week, there will be several mobile blood donation spots all over UK’s campus. The campus blood drives are sponsored by the UK Center for Community Outreach and DanceBlue.

Here is a full list of sites and times from the blood center’s website:

Monday

Funkhouser (Bloodmobile), 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Singletary Center, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Tuesday

Gatton College of Business & Economics, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Chem./Phys. Building Rm. 114, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Singletary Center, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Wednesday

Singletary Center, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Thursday

UK Medical Center, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Singletary Center, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Johnson Center, 1 – 7 p.m.

Friday

Singletary Center, 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Martha Osborne, vice president of marketing at the blood center, said the week is fun for donors and staff, but is “mostly about Kentucky patients.”

“It’s our biggest blood donation week of the year and supports the health care of Kentucky during the holidays, a time when blood donations typically take a dip nationally,” Osborne said. “Of course, we also like to beat Tennessee.”

Donors during the week will receive a long-sleeve, Big Blue Crush T-shirt and a chance to win tickets to Kentucky’s final home football game against Louisville on Nov. 25, the release said.

Those who donate on Monday and Tuesday will be able to win one of 30 $30 Amazon gift cards.

This is the thirtieth Big Blue Crush and the Kentucky Blood Center has won the past seven years, the release said. The Kentucky Blood Center leads the series 16-12 with one tie.