Capilouto concerned by grad tax, going to D.C. next week

UK graduate students protested the proposed tax reform outside Whitehall on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Rick Childress

President Eli Capilouto will travel to Washington, D.C., early next week to meet with lawmakers to discuss concerns over the proposed tax plan, the future of the DACA program and research into opioid addiction.

Capilouto has already been in contact with representatives in D.C. to “express his concern about how some aspects of the proposed tax reform package in the House would impact higher education,” UK spokesman Jay Blanton said.

Blanton said that the president’s office is concerned that the proposed changes in the tax bill would “lead to an unaffordable increase in taxable income for graduate students.”

“(W)e are working with national organizations,” Blanton said. “(S)uch as Association for Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) – as well as our elected representatives to express concerns over the impact of measures such as the one proposed to make tuition waivers taxable income for graduate students.”

A few hundred concerned graduate students protested on UK’s campus on Wednesday. Many of them said that the new tax bill would force them to drop out.