Journalism alumni promise to offer advice for future graduates

Kayla Coco

On Thursday evening, future journalists will gather to hear advice and experience offered by graduates of the UK School of Journalism and Media who will reflect on their national travels and journalism accomplishments.

“Our most recent graduates offer our students the best advice on job hunting and finding success on the job,” said Buck Ryan, a journalism professor.

The panel, moderated by alum Nick Craddock, features a group of diverse individuals including ABC Action News multimedia journalist Isabel Rosales, WCCB News multimedia journalist Courtney Francisco, Centre College’s Director of Athletics Communication Kyle Piercy, LEX18 News Team multimedia journalist Lindsey Piercy and WLKY investigative reporter and producer Mark Vanderhoff.

Through offering up experiences in life after graduation, alumni like Mark Vanderhoff can reflect on the pros and cons of his early work at the Courier-Journal in Louisville as an investigative reporter.

Additionally, Lindsey Piercy can offer advice on what it takes to earn a first place award Indiana Associated Press Award for Best News Series.

“They are great role models for our current students,” Ryan said. “All the speakers displayed the same traits as students: They were smart, responsible, focused, resilient and adaptable.”

Multimedia journalism is essential in adapting to technological advances, as reporters like Rosales found hard-hitting stories in the community during her two years in the Shenandoah Valley.

Kyle Piercy may reflect on his resilience in using his freelance work for the Great Lakes Valley Conference as a graphic designer, and Courtney Francisco in her multimedia journalism work in Waco, Texas.

Understanding the paths set forth by alumni makes for invaluable lessons to be taught to future journalism graduates. Each year the alumni symposium is held to allow for graduates to share what their Kentucky educations could really accomplish in the professional world.

The event will begin at 7 p.m. on Thursday night in the W.T. Young Library Auditorium.