North campus Noodles & Co. closes its doors

Noodles and Company, located on South Limestone, stands empty on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 in Lexington, Ky. Noodles and Company closed its doors at the beginning of the new year. Photo By Genna Melendez | Staff

Kamilah Williams

After Kennedy’s Bookstore closed in December, another business across the street closed its doors. 

Noodle & Co. at the corner of S. Limestone and Avenue of Champions closed its doors Jan. 12.

Former owner and general manager of the North Campus location Bobby Bowen said the store “really closed because of college students.”

When school was in session, Noodles made money. No students equaled no business and money, he said. Bowen was upset that he had to close this location but with a building that was costing him around $5,500 in rent each month, it was hard to keep up with the monthly payments. 

“How am I going to get my rent when there are no students?” he said. 

Noodles went from making about $2,500 a day when school was in, to about $2,500 a month when school was out during breaks.

Bowen did tell his employees that he was closing and that he would give his employees hours at the Nicholasville Road store if they wanted. He said five employees transferred to the Nicholasville Road but other employees couldn’t because of transportation issues.

“I’m sad that Noodles is closed. Where am I going to get my Noodles from?” asked Maria Paolini, a UK student who lives in Boyd Hall.  

Noodles on Nicholasville Road is open and will remain open.

Bowen could possibly open another Noodles in Lexington in “a lot better location” since the North Campus location didn’t have any parking. Mr. Bowen also said the Nicholasville Road location will feature a drive-thru. He said he was mostly sure it will be coming at the end of February and beginning of March.

Although students can’t get their Wisconsin Mac and Cheese or Penne Rosa from across the street, they can still enjoy it at the Nicholasville location.