Capilouto informs campus on how government shutdown could affect UK

Photo by Tessa Lighty | Staff

News Staff

After the federal government shut down at midnight on Friday, UK President Eli Capilouto sent a campus-wide email on Sunday about how UK might be affected. 

If this shutdown is short in duration– the last shutdown, in October 2013, lasted 16 days– there should be a “minimal” effect for higher education institutions like UK, Capilouto said.

Federal funding for student aid is normally already in place and likely will not be impacted, Capilouto said, but concerned students can contact the UK Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships.

“We will work with you to ensure you are able to continue to be enrolled in your courses without interruption,” Capilouto wrote.

Federal research funds and patient services should also be unaffected, he said. But federal websites and other online resources may go “dark” without someone to maintain them, Capilouto said.

“Of course, the longer the shutdown continues, the more daunting the situation can become,” he wrote.

Capilouto said he will keep the campus community informed as the situation progresses. 

“In the meantime, remember that the most important way to respond to challenges such as this is for each of us to continue to do our jobs as we always have– with determination, professionalism, and an appreciation for the difference we make, every day, in the lives of others,” Capilouto wrote.

Last week, Capilouto also addressed Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin’s budget proposal.