Write a note to encourage hospitalized children, bring faiths together

Angel Logan

A handwritten note can bring hope to hospitalized children.

This is one of the purposes behind the UK Interfaith Card Writing to Hospitalized Kids event that junior Nate Cortas is hosting this weekend.

Cortas, a fellow at the Gaines Center for the Humanities, coordinated the event as a fellowship service project.

Cortas said the focus is to bring the UK community and faith-based organizations together to make a positive impact to the lives of hospitalized children.

Children from all over the country who are battling a long-term illness or having a long-term hospital stay will receive these cards.

Cortas said he was inspired to start a project involving the mingling of faith-based organizations on campus because he has many friends from various faith groups, and this led to his desire to build bridges among the faith communities to benefit others.

Cortas said a similar event will also be held in February. With this event, he hopes to continue to encourage the merging of faith groups to leave a mark on the campus and the community.

“UK has such a rich tapestry of faiths represented. Together, they have such an untapped potential,” Cortas said. “But through these projects I hope to build bridges and bring the communities together as one body.”

Supplies will be provided, though participants are welcome to bring their own.

The event will be held on Sunday, Jan. 21, from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the Gaines Center. Read more about the event on its Facebook page.

After the vandalism that occurred at the Jewish Student Center on Jan. 15, Cortas, along with UK student Aryana Misaghi, planned a prayer meeting “for peace and unity,” according to the Facebook event.

The event will be held on Friday, Jan. 19, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Interfaith Prayer and Meditation Room in room 76 of McVey Hall. In a Facebook comment, Cortas said it is an informal gathering rather than an organized service.