UK music professor combines popular music with theory in viral videos

UK Professor Dr. Kevin Holm-Hudson accumulates over 14,000 views on a segment of his viral music theory Youtube show, Music Theory Remixed, based on his recent book of the same name. Photo by Mark C. Walsh | Staff

Megan Brown

What do you get when you combine music theory with popular songs? For UK music theory professor Kevin Holm-Hudson, it is a valuable lesson.

Holm-Hudson said he believes in making music theory relevant to students by applying some of the concepts to their favorite songs. He strives to use guided discussion rather than lectures and his remix videos as learning tools for students to better understand music theory.

At the beginning of the semester, Holm-Hudson engages students by asking them to send three of their favorite songs and works them into lessons whenever possible. This introduces him to new music and keeps his teaching “fresh.”

While this teaching method is time consuming, especially at the beginning of the semester because he will transcribe songs if a score is not available, Holm-Hudson believes “students really relate to concepts when they are taught through songs they already know and love.” If a concept does not fit into a song, rather than forcing it, the class will just have a guided discussion instead. 

Holm-Hudson’s most popular music theory video, which discusses “We Are the Champions,” went viral with over 14,000 views. In the video, he explains motivic parallelism, or the idea a motif at the surface level in a song can also be used on a deeper level. In Queen’s victory anthem, a three-note figure is a motif heard throughout the song. Holm-Hudson was excited about the reach of his “We Are the Champions” video and said it “showed people how to appreciate a much-beloved song in a new way.”  

Holm-Hudson’s teaching style stems from his love of “progressive rock,” a type of pop and rock popular in the 1970’s.  Growing up, he noticed there was a connection between modern and classical music and used this as a basis for his teaching method.  

Despite the generally positive reactions toward his video and teaching style, some critics argue Beethoven and Mozart will be drowned out by this new method of teaching. However, classical music is already being phased out of some high school curriculum, so Holm-Hudson is using this modern-day method to diversify old ways of teaching.

“In all likelihood, graduates will have to fall upon a plan B or even a plan C,” Holm-Hudson said, explaining the importance of students being multifaceted so they are able to find a job after college. “The future in music belongs to those who can be versatile in the gig economy.” 

Along with teaching, Holm-Hudson is also a member of The Twiggenburys, a British pop-rock band, as well as a solo performer. He is also the author of “Music Theory Remixed: A Blended Approach for the Practicing Musician,” a book about combining music theory with popular genres such as rock, jazz, techno, film soundtracks and world music. To find Holm-Hudson’s other music videos, visit Music Theory Remixed’s Facebook page.